- Complete reviews in WaniKani per day
- Complete lessons in WaniKani, paced to level each month
- Aim for 1 hour of passive Japanese listening per day
Generally Recommended Resources
Zach Daniel in "Learning How to Learn Japanese" outlined a nice set of tools that they're using to master Japanese.
Morg, in "Japanese Learning Resources" outlines a different, more immersion-focused approach and gives a solid list of resources including physical textbooks and grammar guides.
Additionally, Christian Horn has a detailed list of additional Japanese resources that I haven't (yet) pursued. The most interesting elements are options for one-on-one tutoring with native speakers via video conferencing.
- Tofugu put together this site for spaced repetition of kanji and learning 6,000 Japanese vocuabulary words.
- Another free vocabulary application. Focuses on learning how to type Kanji using a Japanese keyboard
- A tool for learning Japanese grammar and learning how to form sentences and express ideas in Japanese.
- NHK Easy News
- Resource for learning how to read Japanese through simplified news articles. NHK also appears to have an Android, but not iOS, app that assists with learning how to translate the articles. NHK also appears to have a site with resources for learning Japanese before travel.
- Japanese for Busy People
- AJALT publishes a series of textbooks under the "Japanese for Busy People" label. They are also starting to offer online lessons in 2021 for the first volume in the series. Lessons run ~$700 USD for 10 weeks of two 90 minutes group sessions with three to six other students.
- Generally seems to be adviced as not the best Japanese resource
- Nihongo con Teppei
- Short podcast with 400+ episodes of clearly spoken Japanese
- Japanese Swotter
- Podcast with sentence drills. Patreon provides transcripts.
Books, websites, podcosts etc that I've heard mentioned but haven't researched yet.
- One-on-one language tutoring
- Lingo Deer
- A Duolingo-like website with a focus on Asian languages
- The Genki series of textbooks
- Minna no Nihongo
- The Minna no Nihongo series of textbooks
99 Japan appears to have a good selection of language learning textbooks to order.
- Daniel, Zach. Learning How to Learn Japanese, Zach Daniel. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- Morg. Japanese Learning Resources, Morg Systems. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Horn, Christian. Learning Japanese, Fluxcoil.net. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- WaniKani, WaniKani. Retrieved 2020-10-14.
- KameSame, KameSame. Retrieved 2020-10-14.
- Bunpro, BunPro. Retrieved 2020-10-14.
- NHK Easy News, NHK. Retrieved 2020-10-14.
- NHK Learning Japanese, NHK. Retrieved 2020-10-14.
- Japanese for Busy People, AJALT. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Duolingo, Duolingo. Retrieved 2020-10-14.
- Teppei. Nihongo con Teppei. Japanese Podcast for Beginers (Nihongo con Teppei). Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- Japanese Swotter. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- Italki. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- Lingodeer. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- Genki. Japan Times. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- Minna no Nihongo. 3A Corporation. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- 99 Japan. Retrieved 2021-05-27.