Recipe Kraut Cakes
Adapted from Polish Foodies' Fuczki Saurkraut Pancakes these are quick to whip up and taste like a deonstructed pierogi.
- 1 cup kraut, finely diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tbspns sour cream
- 2 tbspns water
- 1/4 cup cheddar or parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1/4 cup corned beef (optional)
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and diced (optional)
- Butter and/or Lard
- Salt, Pepper and Sour Cream
Whisk egg, water and cream together. Add rye flour and mix. Mix in finely diced kruat and onion. Fry in a well oiled hot skillet in a mixture of lard and butter until browed on both sides. Top with a dollop of sour cream and salt to taste.
I've optionally tried making a cheesy corned beef or bacon versions which is also tasty.
Makes roughly 4 cakes each roughly 1/2 cup in size and 1/2" thick.